Your Seller Wants to Wait for a Better Offer. How Much Better?

❝

One quick note before we get into it: if you’ve been thinking about joining NREB Premium, this is your last call for Founder pricing. We’re closing Founder enrollment after this issue and moving from our discounted Founder rate of $7.99/month or $79.99/year, to our standard $9.99/month or $99.99/year for new members. Already a Founder? You’re all set. Your current pricing stays the same.

Good morning, NREB readers. This week's Premium brief is about a listing-side decision: what a seller gives up by turning down a real offer, and what a future offer would have to deliver to make that worthwhile.

In this illustrative transaction, your seller's home is listed at $500,000. An offer arrives at $485,000, with a $3,000 credit toward the buyer's closing costs, conventional financing, and a closing in 30 days. Your seller has already moved into their next home, and the answer comes quickly: "We're not giving it away. Let's wait for a better offer." These figures illustrate the mechanics; they are not a valuation, and nothing here suggests either number is right for any real home.

Waiting might be the right call. But "a better offer" has to answer two questions, and the list price answers neither.

Two questions, not one

The first is how much more a future offer would have to produce to leave the seller better off than this one, once the extra time and costs are counted. The second is what evidence supports believing that result is attainable, and on what timeline. The first is arithmetic. The second is market evidence. A decision that skips either one is a hope, not a plan.

The clock starts at this offer's closing date

Suppose the next acceptable offer would arrive in about a month and need about 60 days to close, while today's offer closes in 30. The second closing would land roughly 60 days after the first one would have. That gap is the clock that matters: not how long until the next offer, but how much later the seller actually closes.

What 60 extra days cost

The house is now vacant, and each month it stays unsold, the seller keeps paying for it. In this example, the costs that exist only because the sale closes later come to about $2,000 a month: roughly $750 of mortgage interest, $550 of property taxes, $200 of insurance, $200 of utilities, and $300 for lawn care, cleaning, and upkeep. Over 60 extra days, that is $4,000 gone before any difference in price or terms.

One more cost follows the price. In this example, the seller's selling costs that scale with price, their agreed listing fee plus a local transfer tax, total 3% of the sale price. That figure is hypothetical; compensation is negotiable and costs vary by market. It means each additional $1,000 of price nets the seller about $970.

Put those together, and a $488,000 offer that closes 60 days later, with the same $3,000 credit, would leave this seller about $1,090 less than today's $485,000. A higher offer can leave less.

Cash out is not the same as cost

The seller will feel something bigger than $2,000 a month. Their actual outflow is about $2,850: the full $1,600 mortgage payment, $750 into the escrow account, and $500 for utilities and upkeep. But about $850 of that mortgage payment is principal, which reduces the loan balance and comes back to the seller at closing as a smaller payoff. Escrow deposits are not a cost in themselves either; the taxes and insurance they pay are, and any balance left in the escrow account at payoff is returned to the seller or netted against the loan payoff. Calling the whole payment wasted money overstates what waiting costs. Ignoring it understates how much cash the seller needs to carry the house in the meantime. Both numbers belong in the conversation.

When waiting makes sense

None of this means the seller should take the first offer. A meaningfully higher achievable price, better terms, a buyer with fewer contingencies, or a seller whose timing or finances genuinely favor waiting can all justify holding out. The question is whether the evidence supports clearing the hurdle, and what happens if it does not.

The decision

So the decision in front of you is this: what future price and closing date would beat the current offer after every relevant difference, and how do you discuss that with a seller without pretending either closing is certain?

That is what NREB Premium is for. Below the break: the break-even price at 30, 60, 90, and 120 extra days; three outcomes compared side by side, including one where waiting wins; the double-count that inflates the cost of waiting; the evidence review that tells you whether the higher price is realistic; seller language for accepting, countering, and waiting with a set review date; and a one-page comparison for your next listing conversation. NREB Premium is $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year.

logo

Continue with NREB Premium

Join NREB Premium to get the rest of this briefing, plus weekly client-ready talking points, buyer and seller scripts, objection-handling angles, and practical market takeaways. NREB Premium is capped at 10,000 total subscribers.

Join NREB Premium

Premium subscribers get:

  • Weekly Saturday Premium briefing
  • Client-ready market talking points
  • Buyer and seller conversation guidance
  • Scripts, templates, and follow-up ideas
  • Premium-only topic voting
  • Access to Premium posts and archives

Keep Reading